Mittwoch, 27. Juni 2007

Virginia Woolf "A Room Of One's Own" Conclusion

Conclusion

I was curious to read this book and it fulfilled my expectations. Virginia Woolf’s depiction of the development of female literature was exiting, touching and alarming. For me, it is a perfect piece of work dealing with female oppression and influence of money on creativity.

I was impressed by the achievements of female writers under such miserable conditions. No wonder, that most of the women developing literature died young (I discovered it by writing the foot notes). I followed the flow of Virginia Woolf’s ideas and for me her thoughts and indignation are very familiar. To my mind men are still inclined to feel superior and women, working in lower positions in the private economy, still earn much less money than men. But certainly to a much lesser extend than at Virginia Woolf’s time. Today a further problem has arisen. Not a missing room of one’s own or missing money prevent a woman to be creative but maybe the lack of time.

( I wrote this essay originally for the class "Kulturschwerpunktthemen Englisch")

Keine Kommentare: